Less than three months after giving birth to her daughter, Bronx Mowgli Wentz, Ashlee Simpson has her pre-baby body back and may be looking better than ever. This is in thanks, of course, to Trainer Mike Alexander, owner of MADfit training studio in Beverly Hills. Here are some tips on how the Melrose Place star got back in shape after her pregnancy.
1. Don’t torture yourself. Ashlee’s three-to four-day-a-week, 30-to 40-minute workouts show what really counts: consistency. When exercise is a steady part of your routine, you’re more likely to stick with it—and enjoy it.
2. Keep moving. “If Ashlee has any shortcomings, it would be a short attention span,” Alexander says. To limit downtime, she does two or three exercises back-to-back , with no rest in between [i.e., supersets]—usually an upper-body exercise and then a lower-body exercise. “It gets your heart rate pumping,” he says.
3. Squeeze, please. To get a taut tummy, Ashlee works her transverse abdominals (the core muscles that cinch in your stomach). Something you can try: When you’re in your car, squeeze in your tummy muscles. Hold tight for 10 seconds, then release.
4. Step it up. Ashlee’s staircase (which is about four flights) doubles as a great fitness tool. “Sometimes she’ll jog up and down, hitting every step, for three to five minutes,” says Alexander.
5. Work the weights. “If you bump up your lean muscle mass, your metabolism will rev up too,” Alexander says. To tone her legs, Ashlee holds eight-pound weights while doing squats and lunges.
Tell us what you think about Ashlee’s post-pregnancy routine. Seems doable. Right?