Mac Danzig takes on Justin Buchholz tonight at UFC 109 in Las Vegas. MMA fighters, especially UFC fighters, are some of the fittest athletes in the world. Hard to believe, but Mac is able to maintain his lifestyle through a vegan diet. Mac Danzig talks about his diet in one of his blog posts:
Brown Rice: One of my main sources of complex carbs along with Oatmeal… I buy the ‘microwave in the bag’ frozen brown rice from Trader Joe’s… It’s pretty easy to make and can be added to almost any meal. Wild Rice (actually a grass seed) is even better if you can get a hold of it.
Portobello mushrooms: These are great. Good protein source, low calories, low sodium… Can be sauteed or stir-fried with vegetables. I eat many of these when cutting weight.
Tempeh: This is a Tofu-based food and a good source of protein and fiber… Although a little bitter when eaten plain, I find that some flavorings can really make this good…
Quinoa: This grain is sometimes a chore to cook, and if you live in the middle of nowhere, it might be hard to find, but it’s a great source of not only carbs and protein, but fiber as well. This is one of the most nutritionally complete foods out there with a full, balanced set of amino acids…
Black Beans, lentils, etc: Really, many Mexican foods I find to be pretty substantial as long as there’s some beans and rice in it… Lentils are great in soup and have some decent protein and fiber…
[click to continue…]
The Sundance Film Festival is taking place in Park City, Utah as we speak. One of the major stories emerging from Sundance is that Lionsgate has purchased Buried, starring Ryan Reynolds.
When Ryan Reynolds first emerged into the mainstream with his title role in Van Wilder, Ryan was relatively scrawny. That all changed when he prepared himself for Blade: Trinity. One of the critical steps in Ryan’s transformation was his diet.
According to Ryan, he ate something every 2-3 hours. When he ate, he never “stuffed” himself, but also made sure he never went hungry. In addition, he drank plenty of water throughout the day (preferably before or after meals, and not with the meals).
Role Preparation Diet
Breakfast: 1/2 cup egg whites and 2 eggs + oatmeal (no sugar). In particular, try McCann’s Steel Cut Oatmeal. It can take about 30 minutes to cook, but you can usually make enough to last a few weeks. Try seasoning the oatmeal with apple sauce and/or cinnamon. There’s also a microwaveable version of McCann’s that only takes a few minutes.
Midmorning snack (about 2-3 hours later): protein bar
Lunch: chicken and veggies/brown rice.
Mid-afternoon snack (about 2-3 hours later): protein bar
Dinner: fish or chicken + salad(balsamic vinegar for dressing) + vegetables
Evening snack: protein shake (repeat as necessary)
[click to continue…]
Recently People StyleWatch chatted with several celebrity trainers to learn how Hollywood’s sexiest ladies stay in shape. The stars have workout tips and favorite moves from yoga, to dance, to running. Check out what how hot celebrity trainers get six of your favorite A-listers camera ready!
Kate Bosworth’s trainer Maria Leone says, “A dancer’s physique is what we are after.” To prepare Kate for one of her favorite activities, horseback riding, Maria says, ”We keep her body streamlined and toned using light spring resistance to strengthen her upper body. While performing legwork we always incorporate a lot of flexibility to increase range of motion of her legs.”
Tina Fey’s Pilates instructor Kristin McGee says, “I would say Tina’s a yoga girl.” ”She liked the chaturanga, [which] is a narrow arm push-up. Her upper body is beautiful. She loves the fact that she can do the chaturanga to add a little bit of that tone.”
Kristin McGee also trains Leann Rimes. Kristin says, “She’s a runner and you get really tight in the front of your quads.” To combat muscle soreness, Kristin taught Leann the importance of stretching her quads before and after a run.
[click to continue…]
P90X was perhaps the most popular workout program in 2009. Celebrities love the at-home workout system developed by trainer Tony Horton that operates on the principle of muscle confusion. The program comes with 12 DVDs and a diet plan to follow for 90 days.The program consists of three different phases to prevent plateauing. The program not only includes a variety of fat-burning and muscle-building exercises, but also includes plyometrics, kenpo, yoga, core training, and stretching. It will help burn fat, build muscle, and increase cardio fitness. P90X is the best-selling workout product out there and it is well worth the price. With this workout, you will definitely get you the celebrity results you’ve always wanted… That is, if you can stick with it.
Some celebrity P90x users:
- Pink appears on the cover of Women’s Health and tells the mag: “[U]sually, I wake up and do an hour of cardio, then an hour of P90X or yoga, then a half-hour of warm-up [during show rehearsal]. I do that six days a week.” Did I mention she had just had a baby four weeks earlier?
- Taylor Lautner and other New Moon cast members used P90X to get ready for theirs roles in the latest flick in the Twilight series.
- Other known celebrity users include singer Sheryl Crow, 90210 star Jenny Garth, Philadelphia Eagles kicker David Akers, Atlanta Braves outfielder Matt Diaz, Without a Trace actress Poppy Montgomery, actress Demi Moore, her husband, actor Ashton Kutcher, Usher, Ewan McGregor, Bryce Dallas Howard, Joey Fatone, and Jason Scheff.
- Some athletes who use P90x include Emmitt Smith (former RB for the Dallas Cowboys), Ray Lewis (Baltimore Ravens), Donovan McNabb (QB Washington Redskins), Brian Westbrook (RB Philadelphia Eagles), Brett Favre (QB Minnesota Vikings), Kelly Slater (surfer), Barry Zito (pitcher, San Francisco Giants), Brian Wilson (pitcher, San Francisco Giants), Jo-Jo Reyes (pitcher, Atlanta Braves), Kenny Smith (former Guard for the Houston Rockets; TNT analyst), Ray Allen (Boston Celtics), and Baron Davis (Los Angeles Clippers).
- Even Congressmen Paul Ryan (R – Wisconsin) and Health Schuler (D – North Carolina) have gotten in on the action.
[click to continue…]